Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Peanut Butter Toast: Lots of Nutrients

We put our Peanut Butter Toast under the broiler for a couple of minutes
to make everything warm and crispy. Mmmm.
If you are worried that your toddler may not be getting enough nutrients, here's some great news about Peanut Butter Toast: one tablespoon of peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat bread with an 8-ounce glass of low-fat milk provides plenty of nutrition for your toddler. Before the age of 4, this will fulfill:
  • 100% of your preschooler's protein requirement
  • 33% of his grain recommendation
  • 50% percent of his daily dairy
  • 65% percent of his need for zinc
  • 32% percent of vitamin E
  • 18% percent of iron, and
  • 65% percent of his calcium needs
I was really encouraged by the amount of nutrition this simple little meal provides!  These stats came from this article on BabyCenter which contains lots of great ideas for getting your toddler to eat healthier. 


Love, Lauren

6 comments:

  1. Thank goodness! I make hot breakfast most mornings but honestly he asks for PB toast every morning. I save it for crazy mornings but feel guilty serving it. So yay! The guilt is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE peanut butter toast for breakfast at our house. It's great for kids, but I also like it after a run in the morning with a tall glass of milk. Yum - it is especially good when the toast is warm and the peanut butter gets all melty.......Thanks for the nutrition info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Natalie! Your comment made my day - I love Super Healthy Kids and all of the great and nutritious info you share there!

      Delete
  3. I love this. I feel like my kids are going to turn into peanut butter and honey sandwiches because they eat them so much. I tell myself that the honey is helping their allergies:) and now I have proof that the PB and bread is a legit meal too! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete