Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Favorite Hummus Recipe

Hummus: topped with a drizzle of olive oil and a dash of paprika. I didn't do a great job of getting this hummus (pictured) really smooth.  If you prefer a really, really smooth texture, just keep the food processor running for a bit longer. 
This hummus recipe is a staple in our house: I make it almost weekly and it keeps well for several days in the refrigerator. One of my favorite things about it is that all of the ingredients are now staples in my pantry, so I can make it any time. I had never bought Tahini (sesame paste) before I started making hummus, so it's a new "staple" for me.  Never bought Tahini? Look for it on the ethnic aisle of your grocery store. I buy the Ziyad brand found in the Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food section. One jar lasts a long time!



I really encourage you to make your own hummus if you have never tried it. To me, this homemade version tastes far better than any store-bought (and even many restaurant versions) that I've tried. I LOVE Greek food and have some yummy recipes for falafel and tabouleh that I will try to post soon. 


I like to serve this hummus with fresh veggies like carrots and celery sticks and/or fresh sugar snap peas. It's even good with apple slices.  Or pita chips Or a spoon. Really, just about anything can be a vehicle for this yummy dip! It's great for a snack or lunch, and even packs well in a lunch box (in a little plastic container.)

Lauren's Favorite Hummus
Adapted from Tyler Florence's Family Meal
1 can chickpeas (Garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
2-3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
3 cloves garlic, crushed (more or less, based on your love of garlic)
juice from 1/2 a lemon
salt to taste
1/4 cup boiling water
olive oil (for serving)
paprika (for serving)

Add chickpeas, tahini, crushed garlic, lemon juice and salt to a food processor.  Pulse for about a minute, until the chickpeas are smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides if needed. With the food processor running, slowly add the boiling water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the hummus gets to desired consistency. Continue to pulse for a minute or so more until the hummus is smooth and creamy.  

Scoop hummus into a serving bowl and top with a drizzle of olive oil and a dash of paprika.  Serve with fresh veggies and/or pita chips. 


Love, Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment