Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Veggie Muffins


Lots of fresh fruits and veggies go into these muffins!


I found the original recipe for these muffins in the Keeping Good Company cookbook I have here at home.  I love everything I have made from this cookbook, so when I saw all of the fruit and veggies in these muffins, I knew I had to give them a try.  To my delight, they tasted great, and WP ate them too!
As you can see, he can't keep his hands off them!
The original recipe was very good, but I made some modifications to make it more healthy and kid friendly.  They make great regular size or mini muffins and are one of my favorite things to take to a morning play date. I usually freeze the leftovers (any that won’t be eaten within 3 days) and then thaw them out in batches the night before I need them. They keep well in the freezer for a couple of months. 
Veggie Muffins

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup peeled, grated carrots (2-3 large carrots)
1 cup peeled, grated zucchini (1/2 large zucchini)
1 large green apple, peeled and grated
2 eggs
1/4 cup applesauce (I use Central Market's Organic Cinnamon Applesauce)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup Greek yogurt (2% or whole; I use Fage)
1 tsp vanilla
Preaheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour through salt). Stir in carrots, zucchini and apples. In a smaller bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce, oil, yogurt and vanilla and then add to the flour/veggie mixture.  
Spoon batter into greased, paper-lined, or silicone muffin molds, filling each cup to desired fullness.  They don't rise a whole lot, so it's fine to fill them to the top. The will rise a little, and some will spill over, giving you a nice, crusty top.  But you can fill them as little as 1/2 full if you want a smaller muffin for little hands. 
Bake regular size muffins 22-28 minutes (less for mini muffins), or until center of muffins springs back when touched. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan. 
Makes 12-24 muffins, depending on how full you fill each one.


Note: I have made these two ways: one way is to grate the veggies/apples and the other way is to pulse them in the food processor into fine pieces.  I prefer the grated way - you can see little grated pieces in the muffins, and you know what you are eating is fresh.  The grated pieces don't bother WP... but if your kiddo is big on texture, you may want to use the food processor to break the veggies/apple into tiny pieces that will be undetectable in the muffins. If you do this, the muffins might turn out a bit drier and/or need less bake time - so watch them closely.

Print recipe here

Love, Lauren

Kim says: "Thank you Lauren for dropping this off!  The boys loved them!!"
Now you see it . . .
Now you don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment