Friday, December 30, 2011

Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan




This Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan has become a staple in our house - one of those recipes I make as often as I can because we all like it.  The first time I tried it was when my Mother-in-law made it. I loved it then and I still am impressed with it every time I make it: it's easy, tasty, and healthy not fried. I am never able to get chicken so tender unless I follow this recipe. And aside from Kim's Yummy Chicken Balls, this is one of the few meats WP will eat. Really, what kid wouldn't like it? It's like pizza with a chicken-crust.  

I have included a picture of the original recipe from my Mother-in-law. She and I have both made modifications to the original recipe, including:

  • For the chicken breasts: trim off all the fat and slice each breast in half (so that they are half as thick).  This is easier to do if the breasts are partially frozen. You can slice them partially frozen, then completely defrost them in the microwave. (Note: if you want to make strips or nuggets for the kids, just cut the chicken before fully defrosting it.) After halving and defrosting the chicken breasts, place them in a freezer bag and use a meat tenderizer to pound them out. I like them very thin - 1/2" or thinner. 
  • Dip the chicken breasts in butter mixture, then coat them in the breadcrumb mixture according to the recipe. 
  • Bake the chicken at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and top with pasta (or pizza) sauce and mozzarella cheese. (I am obsessed with HEB/Central Market grocery stores. I do not get paid to say that - I just love them that much. Their HEB brand pizza sauce is delicious, so I always use it on this dish. My husband swears that the pizza sauce makes the recipe. If you don't live in South Texas, or near an HEB, my condolences! Please come visit one if you are ever here. I digress.) Return the chicken to the oven for an additional 15 minutes. 




The Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan goes well with many different sides. I usually serve it with a salad, a vegetable and/or buttered noodles with Parmesan. 


Set up an assembly line: half then pound out chicken breasts; dip in butter/sauce; dredge in breadcrumbs & Parmesan; add to pan

4 comments:

  1. I think I spy Sharla's handwriting in that recipe book...let me guess, this one was inspired by Anthony! ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! This one WAS inspired by Anthony! A fail-proof recipe for picky eaters :)

      Delete
  2. Another yummy! Have to try this week! So excited to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete