Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Homemade Peppermint Patties


Oops! Don't forget the butter and heavy cream!
I wasn't always a chocolate and mint fan.  I'm not sure why but it just never appealed to me.  Once I tried Thin Mints (a Girl Scout cookie, for those of you who live under a rock!), I began my upward spiral towards choco-mint heaven.  Peppermint patties are now one of my favorite candies and, if I have the time, this homemade version is far better than the ones from the store.  I came across this recipe on the internet a couple of years back and have searched around but can't find the source.  There are other recipes out there but none like this. Really creamy, perfectly minty, and the chocolate shell is as good as you invest.


Homemade Peppermint PattiesPrint Recipe
2 cups powdered sugar
1.5 Tbsp softened butter
2 tsp peppermint extract
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp heavy cream (I have used vanilla coffee creamer, leaving out the vanilla extract)
8 ounces (about 1 1/3 cups) dark chocolate, chopped (I used a $3 bag of 63% cacoa and it was great!)
1 Tbsp vegetable shortening

Line a cookie sheet with wax paper or foil.  Mix the cream, vanilla, mint extract, and softened butter.  Add the sugar and mix well with a fork till it comes together and is no longer powdery.  It should be firm but creamy, add sugar or cream to adjust. 
Use a teaspoon and roll candy into small balls.  Flatten them on the cookie sheet with your palm.  Put them in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.  
Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and shortening together on a double boiler or in the microwave.  I prefer the double boiler because the chocolate stays over the heat source, keeping the temperature consistent.
Use two forks to dip and turn the candy, dragging the bottom against the bowl to remove any excess chocolate.  Place it on a fresh sheet.  If the candy gets soft while dipping, put the un-dipped ones back in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. After dipping all of the candy, put it back in the refrigerator for a few hours to set up.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month. Enjoy!

P.S. There will be extra chocolate so get out your strawberries, pretzels or anything else you'd fancy dipped in chocolate!


Also,  Halloween taught us not to give our tots chocolate (unless you like two Texas tornadoes!) so these are reserved just for me (occasionally my hubs gets a bite).

No comments:

Post a Comment